Throughout the ages, goblins had remained in the shadows, struggling for millennia to find meaning once Edarr had fallen. They continued to worship darkness in all its forms, living in their subterranean lairs, stealing snippets of knowledge from the surface races whenever they could. Occasionally, extraordinary goblins would make their way to the surface and mix with the other races, just like Bale and Sarna.
The twins, inseparable since birth, were named the Mischievous Duo from a young age, a moniker they appreciate and actively encourage. It seems the gods themselves are unable to separate the two since, for the first time, the gods summoned the twins as a pair. The interaction between the demigods, Between and the mortals of Athien is ever-changing as the power of the Effigies they create increases. The ability to bind two or more individuals to a single ethereal chord is the latest development, and the possibilities seem limitless.
The twin's combat synergies are a self-fulfilling aspect of their partnership. Over time, they each concentrate their skills in an area where, as a team, was lacking. Bale gravitated towards physical combat where Sarna combined guile, wit and magical aptitude to fulfil her side of the symbiotic bond.
Bale and Sarna are a very high-skill cap hero. They require careful placement, order activation and clever use of a shared activation pool to realise their potential. There are many layers to their abilities that will not become clear until you have many games under your belt. However, in the hands of an experienced player, the Mischievous Duo will be a force to be reckoned with.
Hero Unit Rules
Let's first walk through the new Hero Unit type which Bale and Sarna have introduced to the game.
- A hero unit contains a single model that is designated the Commander, as depicted on the unit's statistics card.
- Members of a unit, other than the Commander, do not re-spawn until all models in the unit are simultaneously dead OR until the Commander is in base-to-base with his/her Effigy during Step 5 (Re-spawn step) of the Communion phase.
- Magical Artefacts, purchased by the hero unit, are assigned to the Commander. Non-commander models cannot equip themselves with Magical Artefacts.
- The Commander of a unit is the only model that can Effigy Recall.
- Souls harvested by the unit are assigned to the Commander.
- Only one soul harvest attempt can be made per unit activation.
- Each unit has 3 actions plus 1 for each model, other than the Commander, alive at the start of the unit's activation. A single model is not able to use more than 3 actions in a given activation.
- Whenever a hero member of a unit gains a level, the unit Commander is the only model that gains a level.
- All heroes re-spawn with max health -3.
Unit cohesion is satisfied when all models of a hero unit are within 3" of the Commander. Note, a unit Commander is always considered to satisfy Unit Cohesion.
- When the Commander Effigy Recalls, any models in Unit Cohesion are placed in base-to-base with their Effigy.
- Damage suffered by a model, in Unit Cohesion, can be spread among any other models in Unit Cohesion. The final allocation of damage occurs before any model has damage applied to them.
- Models that are out of Unit Cohesion activate at the same time as the rest of their unit, however, they must abide by the rules for being out of Unit Cohesion as stated below.
Models, in Unit Cohesion, can use the following game rules. Models that are not in Unit Cohesion cannot use the following game rules.
- Contest Shrines
- Ganging Up
- Use Fate
- Soul Harvest
- Contribute (+1) to friendly Soul Harvest skill check attempts (maximum +2 regardless of the number of models)
- Hinder (-1) to enemy Soul Harvest skill check attempts (maximum -2 irrespective of the number of models)
Individual models that are part of the unit still count as hero models, whether in or out of unit cohesion.
If the unit Commander dies:
- All models in the unit are considered to be out of Unit Cohesion until such time they are back within 3" of the Commander.
- The enemy model that inflicted the killing blow harvests the Commander's Soul. Note that non-Commander models do not give up a Soul when they die; however, they do award a level.
Bale & Sarna are a high skill-cap hero unit with a ton of synergies and cool abilities. We will be releasing more in-depth analysis of their gameplay in future streams and blog posts. For now, we present their v0.8 cards for your enjoyment.
We are planning on releasing Bale & Sarna at Adepticon 2020 and will be revealing their sculpts in the near future.